Bird Considers Acquiring Scoot; Needham Joins Riot Games; Backstage Accelerator Backed by Google
A new report from TechCrunch suggests Santa Monica-based e-scooter operator Bird Rides Inc. might acquire Singapore-based e-scooter startup Scoot. Scoot was last valued at roughly $71 million and is backed by New York-based Scout Ventures. Both parties declined to comment or confirm the reports.
Sawtelle-based venture capital investor Backstage Capital announced June 6 it received funding from Alphabet Inc. subsidiary Google to boost its three-month Backstage Accelerator program. The Accelerator will now offer participating startups access to Google spaces, workshops, advisors, and product experts, according to Socaltech. Both Backstage and Google declined to share how much Google is investing. Six companies make up the Accelerator’s first L.A. class.
John Needham will run West L.A.-based Riot Games Inc.’s esports division, taking over from its previous co-directors Jarred Kennedy and Whalen Rozelle, who will transition to different roles within the game company. Needham was the prior director of Riot Games’ European and North American operations, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report June 12: Bird Acquires Scoot
- Silicon Beach Report June 13: Sure Raises $23 Million
- Bird Acquires Scoot Networks
- Silicon Beach Report March 15: Snapchat Plans Gaming Platform
- Silicon Beach Report March 14: Faraday Selling Manufacturing Plant for $40 Million
- Silicon Beach Report May 23: Boring Co. Contracted for Las Vegas Tunnel
- Silicon Beach Report May 10: Chrome River develops U.S. Bank app
- Silicon Beach Report June 18: Elevate Secures $25 Million