Boring Co. hires in Las Vegas; LightSail mission continues; Upfront finances sixth fund
Santa Monica-based investment firm Upfront Ventures has raised a $400 million fund, the company's sixth fund since it launched in 1996. Upfront now has more than $2 billion in capital under management and will use the new fund to continue investing in seed and early stage companies and startups, prioritizing Los Angeles-based companies.
Tunneling outfit Boring Co. is hiring engineers, security guards and more to help construct and manage a tunnel project in Las Vegas that will transport people to the city's convention center. Socaltech reports the company is also actively hiring for positions at its Hawthorne headquarters.
Pasadena-based Planetary Society's LightSail 2 spacecraft was launched into space via a SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket last week and is now orbiting the Earth on its own. TechCrunch reports the craft will soon deploy its "sail" mechanism, a reflective sheet that will use photons emitted by the sun to power its orbit.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at email@example.com or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report May 23: Boring Co. Contracted for Las Vegas Tunnel
- Silicon Beach Report March 13: Musk's Vegas People Mover Project Approved
- NASA Awards SpaceX $50 Million Launch Contract
- Silicon Beach Report June 29: Recreational Video Game Competition Super League Gaming Raises $15 Million
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 26: Dray Alliance Hauls in $3.5 Million
- Silicon Beach Report July 19: HyreCar Announces Stock Offering