FLIR invests in DroneBase; Falcon Heavy taking off tonight; Stamps.com adds Katie May to board
El Segundo-based Stamps.com Inc. appointed Katie May, chief executive of Austin, Texas-based online shipping application developer ShippingEasy Inc., to its board of directors April 10. ShippingEasy was acquired by Stamps.com in 2016 for roughly $63 million. According to Socaltech, May helped grow ShippingEasy to a $30 million business in the five years prior to its acquisition.
Drone imaging company DroneBase received a strategic investment from sensor technology developer FLIR Systems April 9, TechCrunch reports. Terms of the investment were not disclosed but the partnership ensures DroneBase’s pilots will have access to FLIR’s thermal imaging technology and training services. Based in Santa Monica, DroneBase was established in 2014 and had raised roughly $19 million prior to this round of funding.
Hawthorne-based SpaceX will send its Falcon Heavy rocket into space on its first commercial launch this evening from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center. Space.com reports the rocket is scheduled to lift off at 8 p.m. eastern time and will carry an Arabsat-6A communications satellite into orbit. After the first stage of separation, the Falcon’s two side boosters should land back at Cape Canaveral, while its center core will touch down on a drone ship in the Atlantic Ocean as part of SpaceX’s reusable rocket initiative.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report Jan. 29: Vicente Capital Sells Intellectual Technology
- Silicon Beach Report June 25: Falcon Heavy Launches 24 Payloads Successfully
- Silicon Beach Report April 5: GumGum Sinks Teeth Into New Dental Venture
- Silicon Beach Report June 21: Kairos Ventures Closes $24.6 Million First Fund
- Silicon Beach Report June 24: Insight Acquires PCM
- NASA Awards SpaceX $50 Million Launch Contract
- Silicon Beach Report July 25: Snap Lab Division Chief Resigns
- Silicon Beach Report June 10: Pluto TV Pushes into Latino Markets