SpaceX preps for Falcon launch; GumGum establishes dental advertising outfit; Snap talks new features, redesign at partner summit.
Santa Monica-based advertising analytics startup GumGum Inc. created a spin-off of its dental services division April 5, Socaltech reports. GumGum’s new dental outfit will develop artificial intelligence advertising tools for the dental industry separate from its existing advertising and sports media divisions. Ophir Tanz will vacate his post as GumGum chief executive to lead the new entity, and Chief Operating Officer Phil Schraeder will assume the role of GumGum’s CEO.
Hawthorne-based SpaceX will launch a Falcon Heavy rocket April 7, the first since a test in February 2018. The launch will take a communications satellite developed by Lockheed Martin Corp. into orbit. TechCrunch reports the Falcon rocket is significant not only for its ability to carry larger than average payloads, but also because its launches cost roughly $100 million each, as compared to the current industry standard of $300 to $600 million per launch.
During its first keynote event, Santa Monica-based Snap Inc. outlined changes to its Snapchat app, including new content and slight redesigns aimed at holding user attention longer and increasing engagement. Snapchat added 10 new short-form television shows to its lineup and a new suite of augmented reality lenses, the L.A. Times reports. Back-end developer tools that allow other companies to integrate their content with the Snapchat app were also announced, with West Hollywood-based dating app Tinder Inc. and Fitbit Inc. the first two companies to do so.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at email@example.com or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report June 29: Bird Raises $300 Million
- Silicon Beach Report June 7: SpaceX Preps For $1 Billion Satellite Launch
- Silicon Beach Report March 31: Snapchat Launches Stories Search
- Silicon Beach Report May 11: SpaceX Launches Block 5 on Second Try
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 14: Netfix Says It’s Not a Video Service Provider
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 9: Snap Is Trying to Lure Instagram Advertisers by Offering Them Free Ads on Snapchat
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 20: Whatsapp Updates with Snapchat-Like Vanishing Content
- Silicon Beach Report May 24: Snap Hires New Diversity Lead