Children’s Hospital Los Angeles has purchased the 43,500-square-foot Vons supermarket at 4520 Sunset Blvd near Los Feliz for $90 million, or nearly $2,100 per square foot, from Pleasanton, Calif.-based food-and-drug retailer Safeway Inc.
The property, which is located adjacent to Children’s Hospital, sold on Aug. 28, according to CoStar Group Inc.
Vons has agreed to a multi-year leaseback of the property and plans to operate the store “for years to come,” said Children’s Hospital spokesman Lorenzo Benet via email.
“There are no immediate plans to change how that property is being used,” Benet said.
The supermarket was built in 1963 and has 120 parking spaces.
A Vons representative did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment.
The lot was once the location of filmmaker D.W. Griffith’s Reliance-Majestic Studios, where the controversial 1915 epic “Birth of a Nation” was filmed. Though praised for its innovative storytelling techniques that movie has been roundly condemned as racist and pro-Ku Klux Klan. Griffith’s “Intolerance,” his follow-up to that movie, was filmed across the street where the Vista Theatre now stands.
Real estate reporter Ciaran McEvoy can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (323) 556-8337.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- CHLA Pays $90M for Next-Door Parcel
- Netflix to Move into All 13 Stories at Hudson’s Epic in Hollywood
- Los Feliz Club Apartments Acquired for $55M
- Sunset Boulevard Office Building Purchased for $37.8 Million
- Canyon Partners Real Estate and Pasadena-based CIT Bank Buy Harvey Apartments in Hollywood
- Law Firm Pays $28.5M for Bebe Studio
- CIM Commercial Trust Buying Beverly Hills Office Space
- Sunset Strip Properties Sell for $80 Million