The U.S. Department of Commerce announced April 23 it would issue a $788,774 grant to the 66-year-old research facility on the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center campus in Torrance.
The 18,000-square-foot incubator, to be housed within a new four-story $63-million research laboratory, is expected to open in December.
Officials from the Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration say startup companies need tools to grow and thrive and boost employment prospects across the region.
Biotechnology industry advocates have been reaching out to encourage Los Angeles students to pursue careers in science.
The Southern California Biomedical Council, an industry trade group, last week named a winner for its Southern California BioGENEius Challenge.
Maggie Chen, a senior at Canyon Crest Academy in San Diego, received a $1,250 R&D Award by SoCalBio committee for her bioscience poster out of hundreds shown at the California Science & Engineering Fair last week in Exposition Park.
Chen, whose work focused on nanotherapeutics, will represent the region during a global contest this June at the BIO International Convention in Boston.
Biocom, another industry trade group, also has been boosting local science education.
The San Diego-based life science association, with an office in Los Angeles, has supported The City of STEM Science Festival, held at two L.A. County locations.
Staff reporter Dana Bartholomew can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (323) 556-8333.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Wells Fargo Gives $1M to MLK Jr. Community Hospital to Recruit Doctors in South L.A.
- New Sickle Cell Drug Goes to Market
- Emmaus Life Sciences Raises $12 Million in Debt Securities
- Torrance-Based Emmaus Life Sciences Groundbreaking Sickle Cell Drug Goes on Sale
- TOP DOCTORS LOS ANGELES: NEUROLOGY
- Emmaus Plans Reverse Merger, Nasdaq Listing
- Prostate Cancer Foundation of Santa Monica Gets $2.5M to Study Cancer in African-American Men
- LA BioMed Closes $50 Million Bond Sale to Fund New Biotech Research Lab