Hulu and Spotify announce bundle subscription; Facebook made $40 billion in ad revenue in 2017; Snap Inc. files FCC documents for next-generation sunglasses.
Hulu and Spotify unveiled a new subscription bundle for streaming customers on April 11, according to Variety. Spotify Premium now with Hulu combines a full Spotify a la carte subscription with Hulu’s entry-level, on-demand service for $12.99 per month. Both plans typically have a combined price tag of nearly $18. The new bundle is initially available only to existing Spotify Premium subscribers in the U.S., who will also be offered a three-month trial subscription to Hulu for 99 cents.
Mark Zuckerberg is currently testifying in front of Congress about the company’s recent privacy issues involving a third-party data firm’s access to the personal data for 87 million Facebook users without their permission. According to Recode, the company made $40 billion in advertising revenue in 2017. Facebook doesn’t sell users’ data, but it does sell access to users’ activity on the site and gathers data on that activity to filter ads content to users’ interests.
Snap Inc. filed FCC documents for new Spectacles, first reported by Variety and then The Verge. The filings describe a “wearable video camera” with the Spectacles branding and “Model 002” printed on the packaging. Cheddar recently reported two upcoming versions of Spectacles, including a second-generation model with improved performance and bug fixes set to bow this year, and a $300, third-gen wearable with two cameras and GPS to launch in 2019.
Technology reporter Eli Horowitz can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @coachhorowitz13 for the latest in L.A. tech news
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report April 10: Poll Shows Facebook Least-Trusted Tech Company
- Silicon Beach Report April 4: Fullscreen Acquires Reelio
- Silicon Beach Report May 3: Hulu Hits 20 Million Subscribers
- Silicon Beach Report March 23: ServiceTitan Grabs $62 Million in Series C
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 20: Whatsapp Updates with Snapchat-Like Vanishing Content
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 29: Faraday Future CEO Ding Lei Steps Down
- Snap Acquires AI Factory for $166 Million
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 4: Snap Inc. Sold 150,000 Spectacles