Snapchat launches augmented reality product placement; Hulu exec departs to launch virtual reality investment fund and human beats NASA’s JPL artificial-intelligence controlled drone in race.
Snap introduced two new forms of ads to its Snapchat app: Promoted Stories, which string together multiple Snaps into a longer-form slideshows, and Augmented Reality Trial ads, which let people play with an augmented reality version of a product overlaid on the world around them, TechCrunch reports. The company aims to make Snapchat’s ads less skippable and more memorable.
Noah Heller, Hulu’s vice president of business development for emerging technology and virtual reality, left the company this month to launch 3Rodeo, an early stage venture fund, Variety reports. The fund aims to invest in technologies such as media, computer vision and financial technology, and has made three investments thus far, including car-leasing app Fair, augmented reality glasses maker Mira and meal recommendation startup Lighter.
A human drone racer beat an artificial-intelligence controlled drone built by NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory over a short indoor course, The Verge reports. The work was funded by Google, and the test craft — named Batman, Joker, and Nightwing — used the tech giant’s Tango technology to map their surroundings in 3D. The drones were of racing spec, meaning they were able to fly at speeds of up to 80 mph, but because of space restrictions only went as fast as 40 mph.
Technology reporter Garrett Reim can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @garrettreim for the latest in L.A. tech news.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 14: Hulu Content Spending to Hit $2.5 Billion in 2017
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 3: Snap Acquires Metamarkets
- Consultancy Offers Multidimensional Expertise
- Will Silicon Valley Augment Snap’s Reality?
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 8: Snapchat Gets Up To $1 Million a Day for Branded Augmented Reality
- Silicon Beach Report Jan. 27: About 30 Percent of Brand Accounts on Snapchat Are Dormant
- Snap Acquires Israeli Augmented Reality Firm Cimagine Media
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 25: Video Game Voice Actors End 11-Month Strike