Beyond Meat, an El Segundo maker of a meat alternative, is increasing its reach with a deal to be distributed in 280 Safeway Inc. stores in Northern California, northern Nevada, and Hawaii.
The company, founded in 2009 by Ethan Brown, announced the news last week. Its patties made of peas are also available in certain Ralphs, Whole Foods Markets, and other outlets. The company started selling its Beyond Burgers in Whole Foods in May of last year, according to a spokeswoman’s email.
The company has raised $17 million from investors including Bill Gates, General Mills, Tyson Foods, and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.
Safeway is owned by New York private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Diet Soda Maker’s Online Sales Shake Up Sector
- Beyond Meat Raises $17 Million Investment
- Deals of the Week: A look at the companies that signed on the dotted line last week
- Beyond Meat Shares Soar 163% on First Day of Trading
- Beyond Meat Gets Sizzling Wall Street Reception
- Beyond Meat Seeks $100M in Initial Offering
- Beyond Meat Inc.