Fika Ventures raises $40 million seed fund, Musk posts tweet opposing Muslim ban, then deletes it, Imax opens flagship virtual reality center on Fairfax, and more.
Fika Ventures has raised a $40 million seed fund to invest in business-to-business companies developing software products for finance, online marketplaces, and healthcare, reports the Business Journal. Fika was founded by Eva Ho and TX Zhuo, who were founding general partners at Susa Ventures and Karlin Ventures respectively.
Exactuals, a residual payment software developer, raised a $10.6 million Series B round just weeks after it raised a $10 million Series A round, according to a press release. The company also struck a deal with several movie studios this month to handle direct deposit of residuals for members of entertainment union Sag-Aftra.
Elon Musk, chief executive of Space Exploration Technologies Corp., posted a series of tweets opposing the Trump administration’s Muslim travel ban before deleting the comments shortly after, reports Recode. Musk sits on two Trump business advisory boards.
Imax opened its flagship virtual reality arcade on Fairfax on Tuesday, reports Variety. The arcade has 14 single occupant virtual reality attractions in which viewers can experience scenes from movies such as “Star Wars” and tight-rope walking film "The Walk."
Ozobot, which makes an educational robot, raised a $3 million seed round, reports TechCrunch. The robot’s movements can be programmed by children using a simple coding language.
Sag-Aftra has launched a new app for its 160,000 members, reports The Hollywood Reporter. The app allows users to track residuals, keep tabs on local productions, read the latest news, get answers to key contract questions, snag special deals, and add events directly to their calendars.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 8: Snap Inc. Hires Swiss Engineer to Fight Copycats
- Silicon Beach Report April 13: Too Many Robots for Elon Musk
- Tronc to Make Thousands of Videos with A.I.: Silicon Beach Afternoon Roundup
- Virtual Reality Co. to Premiere ‘Raising a Rukus’ at L.A.’s Imax VR Center
- Silicon Beach Report May 17: Virtual Reality Co. to Premiere ‘Raising a Rukus’ at L.A.’s Imax VR Center
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 20: TX Zhuo and Eva Ho Raising $50M for Fika Ventures
- Startups Open Arcades to Play Up Virtual Reality
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 16: E-Sports Ad Tech Firm VY Esports Raises Seed Round