Science Inc. launches $100 million blockchain fund, Kryptos Logic researcher who stopped WannaCry arrested, Tesloop tests out electric freight shipping, and rumors of $30 billion Google buyout of Snap Inc. that never closed.
Accelerator Science Inc. announced on Thursday that it was raising funding via a $100 million Blockchain initial coin offering, according to a press release. The digital currency would allow investors to take direct stakes in Blockchain companies that Science accelerates.
Marcus Hutchins was arrested on Wednesday in Las Vegas for “his role in creating and distributing the Kronos banking Trojan,” according to a spokesperson from the U.S. Department of Justice, reports CNN. Hutchins is a malware researcher at the L.A.-based Kryptos Logic security firm and created a killswitch that prevented the spread of the WannaCry virus.
Tesloop, a long-haul ridesharing company, plans to undertake a freight trip with a Tesla Model X this month, reports TechCrunch. The company plans to tow 3,500 pounds of water from a 7-UP bottling station in Modesto to its Culver City headquarters.
Google floated an offer of at least $30 billion to buy Snap Inc. in early 2016, according to several anonymous sources cited by Business Insider. A Snap representative told Business Insider that as far as formal discussions go, "these rumors are false." Google declined to comment.
Technology reporter Garrett Reim can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @garrettreim for the latest in L.A. tech news.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Ride Service Hitting Road Long Term With Teslas
- MARK HUTCHINS
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 18: LAEDC Includes 9 Sites in L.A. Region Bid for Amazon’s Second Headquarters
- Silicon Beach Report July 3: Tesloop Ride Sharing Service Expands
- Silicon Beach Report Jan. 13: Head of Sony Entertainment, Michael Lynton, Steps Down to Become Snap Chairman
- Tesloop Ride Sharing Service Expands
- Silicon Beach Report March 21: Aerospace Sets Tentative Arrival Date for Tiangong-1
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 11: Snap Confirms Acquisition of Zeny for $213 Million