Snapchat eyeing IPO, Activision hires new Major League Gaming chief, Crackle to make original virtual reality content, and more.
Snapchat Eyeing IPO
Snapchat is discussing with bankers filing for an initial public offering of its stock later this year or in early 2017, according to sources cited by The Information. In a statement, a Snapchat spokeswoman said: “Whether and when we go public will depend on a variety of factors, many of which are beyond our control.”
AirMap Adds Aircraft Avoidance Alerts
Drone airspace mapping app AirMap has added a feature to help alert drones to nearby manned aircraft, reports TechCrunch. Additionally, AirMap announced data partnerships with air-traffic monitoring company Passur Aerospace Inc. and drone-sensor maker uAvionix.
Crackle to Make Original Virtual Reality Content
Sony’s streaming-video website Crackle is exploring creating original virtual reality programs, reports Variety. Initially, the company will focus on producing virtual reality videos related to its existing original shows.
Activision Hires New Major League Gaming Chief
Activision Blizzard has hired Pete Vlastelica, former vice president of digital at Fox Sports, to run its professional e-sports division Major League Gaming, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Vlastelica will be in charge of organizing large e-sports championships throughout the year, such as the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Major Championship, which scored 1.6 million viewers when it was broadcast live in April.
Snapchat Lays Off Local Curators
Snapchat has laid off 15 curators in Los Angeles and New York who worked on the app’s Local Story coverage, reports Reuters. The company is shifting its focus to covering bigger events such as award shows and sports.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 24: Digital Domain Partners with World Surf League for 360-Degree Content
- Drone Racing Gets Its Own League
- Silicon Beach Report Jan. 17: Mitú to Create Latino Content for MLB
- Activision Blizzard Plans E-Sports League with City-Based Teams
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 27: Snapchat Launches Augmented Reality Product Placement
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 26: Snapchat Aiming to Raise As Much as $4 Billion
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 2: Activision Blizzard’s Q3 Results Beat Expectations
- AirMap Raises Funding for Drone Airspace Map