Looking for new ways to make money, Snapchat of Venice has launched $5 geofilters.
Now, Snapchat users can design a custom filter that they can use to decorate photos and videos shared with other users during a specific time and within a defined geographic area.
“On-demand geofilters let you create and publish a geofilter for your party, wedding, business or any other place or event. It’s a fun way to help your friends or customers decorate their Snaps, wherever they are,” Snapchat wrote in a blog post.
Snapchat previously used public geofilters to organize Snapchat photos and videos from users who were nearby large public events, such as sports matches and concerts. It also sold advertising sponsorships of public geofilter feeds for tens of thousands of dollars.
Snapchat has experimented with paid digital features before. The company has sold special video effects and image-editing tools, called lenses, as well the ability to call back vanished content, for $1. However, last month, Snapchat stopped selling lenses in favor of giving away the feature for free or as sponsored content.
Prices for the new geofilters can increase depending on how long they’re used and the size of the geographic area. Geofilters can be bought for one hour or up to 30 days and are available in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Snapchat to Shutter Lens Store
- Snapchat’s Ad Experiments Continue with Sponsored Lenses
- Snapchat Launches Ad Agency
- Silicon Beach Report May 23: Real Office Centers, Co-Working Tenants Evicted from Santa Monica Office
- Snapchat Photos Can Now Be Viewed Indefinitely
- Snapchat Acquires Bitmoji Company
- Snapchat Presses Pause on First Advertising Product
- Snapchat Video Views Rise to 10 Billion A Day