The Dow Jones industrial average rose 236 points in Wednesday trading to close at 16,285.
The S&P 500 rose 36 points to 1,920.
The Nasdaq rose 103 points to 4,620.
The LABJ Stock Index rose five points to 217.
Gainers and Losers
Implantable lens maker Staar Surgical Co. was Wednesday’s biggest local gainer among stocks trading above $1. Shares of the company rose 8 percent on the day, closing at $7.76 after a major shareholder acquired an additional 311,099 shares.
Wednesday’s biggest loser was Thousand Oaks agricultural biotech Ceres Inc. Shares of the company fell 16 percent on the day, closing at $1.08 one day after it struck a licensing agreement with KWS SAAT SE, a seed developer in Germany.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Stocks Rise; Staar Surgical Looking Up, MannKind Down
- Stocks Mixed; Ceres Doubles Up, American Apparel Tanks
- Stocks Rise; Second Sight Climbs, Ceres Deflates
- Stocks Rise; Ceres Spikes, U.S. Auto Parts Stalls
- Stocks Fall; NantKwest Climbs, Ceres Continues Slide
- Stocks Mixed; MannKind Lags, Ceres Leads
- Stocks Mixed; Ceres Climbs, InterGroup Sinks
- Stocks Rise; Second Sight Up, Qualstar Tanks