After rolling out sponsored posts this spring, anonymous social media network Whisper is ramping up its advertising sales, hiring Shelby Haro as its first vice president of sales.
Haro has previously been a sales executive at Fandango, website Rotten Tomatoes and Walt Disney Television, as well as briefly serving as the vice president of sales and product strategy at Variety owner Penske Media Corp. from 2012 to 2013.
Whisper, based in Santa Monica, is a popular app for posting anonymous pictures overlaid with text confessions. The content leans heavily toward the scandalous, such as cheating spouses, and the innocent, such as the joys of having a best friend. The company has found a natural affinity for selling sponsored posts to television and movie brands, whose content tends to skew to the same subjects.
That may not be enough for Whisper though, which has received more than $61 million in venture capital and has more than 10 million monthly users. No stranger to selling to a broad base of brands, it will be Haro’s job to expand Whisper’s advertising clientele – and overcome possible trepidation over the racy nature of some of the content.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Whisper Users Double to 20 Million
- Whisper Appoints New President, Reveals Use Stats
- Fullscreen Buys Social Media Promotion Company
- Social Media Firm Ready To Speak With Advertisers
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 1: Snapchat Ramping Up Hiring Ahead of IPO
- Snapchat Shuts Down Original Content, Lays Off 15 Employees
- Snapchat Hires a CNN Reporter to Lead News Team
- Music Video Streaming Service Lands Former Sony Executive