Tinder Chief Executive Sean Rad gave a salacious interview to British tabloid Evening Standard early Wednesday – just a day before Tinder’s parent company is to make an initial public offering.
The parent, Match Group of Dallas, is in a pre-IPO quiet period and is aiming to raise $466 million in a stock sale Thursday. Interviews are generally not supposed to occur in the time leading up to an IPO – a fact that caused a good deal of surprised reaction Wednesday on social media.
The interview comes just months after Rad was reinstated as chief executive. Earlier, he had been demoted to president of Tinder due to his handling of co-founder Whitney Wolfe’s sexual harassment allegations against co-founder Justin Mateen.
In the Evening Standard interview, Rad discusses his sexual history and doing background research on a Vanity Fair reporter who wrote a critical article about Tinder’s role in “hookup culture.” At one point Rad gets the definition of sodomy confused.
Dating app Tinder of West Hollywood is one of Match Group’s most well-known dating brands, but has yet to generate much revenue. Rightly or wrongly known for its role in hookup culture, Tinder is aiming to make itself a more appealing place for brands to buy advertisements. Parent company Match Group believes the app is significantly underselling potential advertising space.
“Part of our strategy is to meaningfully increase the sell-through at our Tinder brand, which is currently below 2 percent of available ad inventory,” Match Group said in a recent filing.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Tinder’s Chief Executive Resigns, Founder Sean Rad Back
- Tinder CEO Interview ‘Unfortunate,’ Says Match’s Chief
- Sean Rad to Step Down as Tinder CEO to Lead M&A
- Tinder Employee Shakeups Continue
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 8: Sean Rad to Step Down as Tinder CEO, Become Head of Match Group M&A Firm
- Tinder Parent Company Match Group Files for IPO
- Tinder Adds Job, Education Information to Dater Profiles
- Tinder Now Includes STD Testing Information