NET WORTH: $1.46 billion, up 22 percent
LAST YEAR: $1.34 billion
RESIDENCE: Los Angeles
SOURCE OF WEALTH: Investments
THE MONEY: Partner of Warren Buffett since pair met at a dinner party in 1959. Guided Buffett to See's Candies and other big companies. Investments in Costco and Daily Journal performed well in past year.
BUZZ: Berkshire Hathaway vice chairman's wealth grew as Berkshire and Daily Journal perform well. Continues to give away fortune. Donated $65 million to UC Santa Barbara physics institute last year to fund housing facility. Money came from sale of 320 Berkshire Class A shares. Donation was largest in university's history. Stake Berkshire now 4,904 shares; still takes $100,000 salary. Attributed "good luck" as one of four factors behind Berkshire's success in letter to shareholders this year. Harvard Law alum sits on the boards of Costco, Daily Journal, Blue Chip Stamps and Hospital of the Good Samaritan. Omaha, Neb., native joined Army during World War II. Donates to Republican campaigns.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Wealthiest Angelenos: 47, Charles Munger
- The 50 Wealthiest Angelenos: Charles Munger
- The 50 Wealthiest Angelenos: 38. Charles Munger
- Wealthiest Angelenos: 40. CHARLES MUNGER
- The Money Book: Charles Munger
- The 50 Wealthiest Angelenos: Charles Munger #17
- 35. Charles Munger
- Wealthiest Angelenos: Charles Munger - #36