The Los Angeles Business Journal’s index of the largest local public companies rose slightly for the week. The weighted LABJ index rose 1 percent to close at 234, with gainers outpacing losers 96 to 52. Eight companies closed the week unchanged.
Among stocks trading above $1, Calabasas staffing firm On Assignment Inc. was one of the week’s leading gainers. Shares rose 18 percent to close at $38.70 on Friday after the company announced earlier this week that it had agreed to acquire a majority interest in Mid-Wilshire staffing company Creative Circle for $570 million in cash and stock.
Commerce furniture designer and manufacturer Nova Lifestyle Inc. was also one of the week’s leading gainers. Shares rose 9 percent to close at $2.79 Friday after the company reported big year-over-year gains in revenue and net income for the first quarter.
Carson aerospace manufacturer Ducommun Inc. was among the week’s losing stocks. Shares fell 18 percent for the week, closing at $25.01 Friday, after the company reported a larger-than-expected loss for the first quarter.
Other local stocks on the losing end included Santa Monica drug developer Kite Pharma, downtown Los Angeles clothing maker American Apparel Inc. and Commerce denim company Joe’s Jeans, all of which posted double-digit percentage losses for the week.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- TrueCar, Nova Lifestyle Among This Week’s Movers
- Nova Lifestyle, United Online Among Week’s Big Movers
- Second Sight, Ceres Among this Week’s Movers
- MannKind, Qualstar Among Week’s Big Movers
- Nova Lifestyle, Skechers Among This Week’s Movers
- NantKwest, On Assignment Among This Week’s Movers
- Nova Lifestyle, Crown Media Holdings Among This Week’s Movers
- NetSol, Stamps.com Among Week’s Big Movers