The Dow Jones industrial average rose 236 points in Wednesday trading to close at 18,000.
The S&P 500 rose 25 points to 2,105.
The Nasdaq rose 63 points to 5,077.
The LABJ Stock Index rose two points to 231.
Gainers and Losers
Wednesday’s biggest local gainer was implantable lens maker Staar Surgical Co. Shares rose 7 percent on the day, closing at $10.59.
Wednesday’s biggest loser, for the second consecutive day, was Valencia diabetes drug developer MannKind Corp. The company’s shares fell 9 percent on the day, closing at $6.11. Shares fell 7 percent on Tuesday. MannKind’s Afrezza brand of inhalable insulin hasn’t sold well so far, but MannKind and partner Sanofi of Paris are starting an advertising campaign to boost the drug’s profile.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Stocks Rise; Staar Surgical is Up, Ceres Tanks
- Stocks Rise; Second Sight Climbs, Ceres Deflates
- Stocks Mixed; Ceres Doubles Up, American Apparel Tanks
- Stocks Fall; Nova Lifestyle Soars, Puma Plunges – Again
- Stocks Rise; United Online Soars, Capstone Turbine Tanks
- Stocks Mixed; MannKind Lags, Ceres Leads
- Stocks Rise; TrueCar Leads, Lion Lags
- Stocks Rise; Qualstar Climbs, Broadway Slips