BBCN Bancorp, which primarily caters to the Korean-American community, announced Monday morning it plans to buy its rival Wilshire Bancorp in a deal valued at around $1 billion, Reuters reports. The move comes just a couple of weeks after Hanmi Financial proposed to merge with BBCN for about $1.6 billion. A BBCN-Wilshire combination would create L.A.’s fifth-biggest bank.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Hanmi Upset at Proposed BBCN-Wilshire Merger
- Powerhouse Koreatown Bank to Form?
- Wilshire Bank Opens First Georgia Branch
- Hanmi Drops Bid for BBCN
- Lender Steers Way to Texas
- EARNINGS: BBCN, Hanmi, Wilshire
- Koreatown Bank’s Growth Plan Leads East ... to New Jersey
- Koreatown Bank Feels Squeeze in Tighter Market