Vons owner Safeway has agreed to be acquired by an investment group led by Albertsons owner Cerberus Capital Management. Bloomberg BusinessWeek says the $8 billion deal is a bet that a larger supermarket chain can better fend off competition from big-box stores and online retailers.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Photographers Hate Getty's Plan to Give Away Their Work
- Shopping Around
- Vons Tries to Reinvent Itself in Atmosphere and Food Selection
- McDonald's Struggles to Stay Relevant
- J&J Accepts Carlyle Offer for Ortho Unit
- Keeping the Mystery Out of China's Meat
- Analog Catalogs Still Drive Digital Sales