Hard economic times have helped push millions of Americans deeply into debt, plunging many into a dark world filled with relentless collection agents, aggressive lawyers and companies that profit mightily if they can get people to pay up. The Los Angeles Times reports that federal regulators, along with lawmakers in California and several other states, are starting to take action against overly aggressive debt collection firms.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- American Apparel Offers 'Sandy Sale' for Hard-Hit States
- California to Mount Aggressive Bid for Tesla Battery Plant
- J.P. Morgan Faces California Crackdown
- State Lawmakers Look at Credit Card Hacking
- Congressional Action Aids IndyMac Account Holders
- Dov Charney Threatens to Sue to Get Top Job Back
- Secret Scores Have Consumers Pegged — Fairly or Not
- Coastal Residents Could See Energy Bills Rise