Walt Disney Co. on Monday formally terminated negotiations with Harvey and Bob Weinstein to buy back Miramax Films, according to people familiar with the matter told the Wall Street Journal.
The Weinsteins' $625 million bid had been backed primarily by Los Angeles billionaire Ron Burkle's Yucaipa Cos. Sources said the complex structure of the acquisition was the primary reason why the talks collapsed. The Weinstein brothers founded Miramax in 1979 and then sold it to Disney in 1993 for $80 million.
The end of the talks, which began to fall apart last week, could pave the way for another bid by billionaire brothers Tom and Alec Gores. The Gores brothers are separately pursuing another independent film studio
• Read the full Wall Street Journal story.
• Read the full Reuters story.
• Read a related story in this week's Los Angeles Business Journal.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Report: Weinsteins, Burkle in Exclusive Miramax Talks
- Burkle, Weinsteins Deny Talks Failed on Miramax
- Burkle, Not Weinsteins, Would Own Miramax Under Proposed Deal
- Cuban Says He'd Back Weinstein Deal for Miramax
- Three Visions Competing for Miramax
- Disney Said to Extend Deadline for Miramax Bids
- Weinstein Brothers Back in Miramax Picture
- Weinsteins Consider Buying Back Miramax