The money and the buzz on each of L.A.’s wealthiest.
THE MONEY: Resnicks’ retail and agricultural empire Roll International Corp. held up despite weak economy. Sales for high-end products Pom Wonderful and Fiji Water sluggish, but strong consumer demand for branded pistachios boosted Paramount Farms revenue to more than $400 million.
BUZZ: Lynda made ordinary pistachios into a must-eat with $15 million marketing campaign that included TV spots by Levi Johnston, father of Sarah Palin’s grandson. Resnicks own some 120,000 acres of fresh citrus, almond and pistachio trees in Central Valley. Holdings landed couple in legal brawl over their stake in Kern County water bank. State court lawsuit brought by competitor claims couple violated California public utilities laws by selling water at profit. Resnicks call suit “frivolous.” Couple’s $54 million glass and travertine marble exhibition pavilion scheduled to open in October at L. A. County Museum of Art. One inaugural exhibition will feature 125 European paintings, sculptures and decorative arts, including Elisabeth-Louise Vigée-Le Brun’s portrait of Marie Antoinette, from couple’s extensive collection. Politically connected Resnicks count Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Arianna Huffington as friends. Donated $65,750 in 2009 to Democratic Party and candidates. Share chairperson title at family company.
• NET WORTH: $1.79 billion +19%
• LAST YEAR: $1.5 billion
• AGE: 73 (Stewart)
• RESIDENCE: Beverly Hills
• SOURCE OF WEALTH: Agriculture, retail
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Wealthiest Angelenos: Stewart & Lynda Resnick - #25
- The 50 Wealthiest Angelenos: Stewart & Lynda Resnick #21
- Wealthiest Angelenos: 11, Stewart & Lynda Resnick
- The 50 Wealthiest Angelenos: 9. Stewart & Lynda Resnick
- The 50 Wealthiest Angelenos: Stewart & Lynda Resnick
- Wealthiest Angelenos: 10. STEWART & LYNDA RESNICK
- 50 Wealthiest: Stewart & Lynda Resnick #26
- Resnicks Step Out as Leading LACMA Sponsors