State regulators have approved rate hikes on individual Anthem Blue Cross health insurance policies after public outrage and government scrutiny halted a larger increase.
The California Department of Insurance said Wednesday it approved a rate increase averaging about 14 percent for Anthem Blue Cross customers. The department also approved a nearly 19 percent increase for Blue Shield of California.
Anthem's rate hike was repeatedly held up by President Barack Obama as an example of a broken health care system in the run up to the vote on the federal health care reform bill. The smaller increase announced Wednesday is expected to save consumers $184 million, said Department of Insurance spokesman Ioannis Kazanis.
•CLICK HERE to read the Associated Press story.
•CLICK HERE to read the Reuters story.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Anthem Blue Cross Withdraws Rate Hikes Request
- WellPoint To Cut, Delay Premium Hike in California
- Blue Shield Retreats on Raising Rates
- Anthem Blue Cross Makes Settlement on Recissions
- News of the Week
- Congress Opens Probe Into Anthem Rate Hikes
- Anthem Blue Cross's President Steps Down
- Anthem Blue Cross Wants to Raise Individual Policy Rates