Shares of BlackRock Inc. shot higher on Monday in thin, pre-market trading amid speculation the money management firm was involved in a deal with Merrill Lynch & Co.
Both The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, citing people familiar with the discussions, reported in Monday editions that Merrill Lynch would acquire a large stake in BlackRock, known for managing fixed income. The Journal valued the transaction at about $8 billion.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Fink a Good Fit for Merrill Lynch
- Merrill to Combine Unit With BlackRock
- Another Deal in the Works for Countrywide
- Massive Debt Makes State the Largest Distressed Borrower
- Stocks Rise on IBM, Merrill Earnings
- "Spider-Man" Creator Stan Lee Spins New Web
- Merrill Lynch Putting Stock in Fundraising for Cancer Society
- L.A. Firm to Buy J. Crew