Northrop Grumman Corp. has been awarded a $257 million U.S. Navy contract for maintenance on the aircraft carrier USS George Washington.
The 10-month contract will include repair and refurbishment of the hull, shafting, propellers and rudders; blasting and coating of numerous tanks, and modernization of spaces to support the F/A-18 Super Hornet aircraft equipment and weapons systems. Enhancements will also be made to crew living areas; maintenance on propulsion plant systems, and repair and inspections on numerous ship systems.
The George Washington, a nuclear-powered Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, was built by Northrop Grumman Newport News. Delivered to the Navy in 1992, it was is the sixth such vessel built at Newport News.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Northrop Wins $1.94 Billion Navy Contract
- Northrop Overruns Could Erase Carrier Profit, Navy Says
- Northrop Grumman Wins $5.1 Billion Navy Contract
- Northrop Wins Navy Carrier Contract
- Northrop Gets Contract for Second Ford Carrier
- Northrop Grumman Picks Up a Handful of Defense Contracts
- Northrop Delivers Sub Early
- Northrop Wins Two Large Military Contracts