Bird working to integrate Apple Pay; Comcast sells Hulu stake; Crypto hackers arrested after West Hollywood theft
The Business Journal reports Walt Disney Co. will take full control of Santa Monica-based streaming service Hulu from Comcast, which owns a third of the service. The companies announced Tuesday that Comcast will sell its stake back to Disney beginning in 2024 for roughly $5.8 billion. The deal values Hulu at $27.5 billion.
Apple Inc. and Santa Monica-based shared e-scooter operator Bird Rides Inc. are working to integrate Bird ride payment into the Apple Pay mobile app, the Verge reports. When the services are combined, Apple Pay users won’t need to download Bird’s individual app. Instead, they’ll tap their phone against a tag on the scooter that triggers Bird’s website with terms of service, then opens Apple Pay to process the $1 unlock fee.
Socaltech reports the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department’s Fraud and Cyber Crimes Bureau and Homeland Security have arrested a man in connection with a $2.4 million cryptocurrency heist. The Sheriff’s office indicted 19-year-old Reyad Gafar Abbas after a West Hollywood resident reported a large amount of cryptocurrency stolen from their digital wallet. Abbas was one of nine individuals indicted for their participation in an international hacking group called “The Community,” which used false SIM cards to hack cryptocurrency wallets on mobile phones.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at email@example.com or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Disney Takes Control of Hulu
- Silicon Beach Report April 25: Wavemaker Invests in Savonix
- Silicon Beach Report May 17: Aerojet Rocketdyne, Spacex Chosen for Moon Lander Project
- Silicon Beach Report May 2: Hulu Hits 28 Million Subscribers
- Silicon Beach Report April 16: Hulu Buys Back 10% Stake from AT&T for $1.43B
- Bird Introduces City Management Platform, New Hires
- Silicon Beach Report March 20: Phillips & Temro Acquires Evocharge
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 28: Greycroft Leads Beam Funding Round