Hastings not worried about Disney Plus; Thorn gets share of $280 million; Hello Sunshine Ventures into subscription box market.
Actress Reese Witherspoon’s Brentwood-based media company Hello Sunshine is considering entering the subscription box market to sell books. TechCrunch reports Witherspoon already runs a website with female-focused book recommendations called Reese’s Book Club but is pondering turning that online brand into its own business. No plans have been finalized yet, but Hello Sunshine subscribers already received surveys asking what they’d like to see in a subscription box offered by the company.
Contrary to popular speculation, Netflix Inc. Chief Executive Reed Hastings isn’t worried about Burbank-based Walt Disney Co.’s new streaming platform, Disney Plus, according to Variety. Hastings told the publication that he doesn’t think Disney and Apple will be “material rivals” in the so-called streaming wars, although Disney Plus is offering its service at half the price of Hollywood-located Netflix.
Thorn, Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore’s LA-based nonprofit developing technology to prevent child sex abuse online, is one of eight companies to receive a share of $280 million offered by the Audacious Project. The company declined to disclose how much of the shared prize it received, but noted it will use the funds to provide technology to law enforcement to identify victims and enhance data collection, LA Magazine reports.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 21: Streamer Loop Media Acquires ScreenPlay
- Silicon Beach Report May 9: Phyn Raises $12 Million
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 7: GumGum Gets Blue Jackets’ Biz
- Silicon Beach Report April 12: Sellbrite Acquired by GoDaddy
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 28: Reed Hastings’ $2.1 Million Christmas Gift
- Silicon Beach Report March 20: Phillips & Temro Acquires Evocharge
- Disney Takes Control of Hulu
- Silicon Beach Report May 16: Quibi Seeks Additional $1 Billion