Bird expanding in Europe; SpaceX seeks new funding; SpaceIL shoots for Lunar Lander 2.0.
Santa Monica-based scooter operator Bird Rides Inc. is planning an expansion of its European operations this summer, Socaltech reports. The company will launch in more than 50 European cities and introduce a new scooter with improved battery range and GPS. Bird operates in Paris, Tel Aviv, Zurich, Brussels and London already.
SpaceIL will attempt to build a second lander after its first attempt failed, according to The Verge. Initial reports said t Israeli aerospace nonprofit SpaceIL’s lunar lander, which was sent into orbit on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, was lost. But the vehicle is now believed to have crash-landed on the moon’s surface after an engine failure. It is unclear if SpaceX or another private launch provider will handle launch services for the second try, or when the attempt will occur. SpaceIL’s first attempt had a $100 million budget. Last week, Playa Vista-based Xprize Foundation Inc. presented the Israeli company with a $1 million “Moonshot Award” for successfully entering lunar orbit and attempting to land on the surface of the moon.
According to Axios, Hawthorne-based private aerospace firm SpaceX is raising up to $510 million in a new funding round, its second this year. To date, SpaceX has raised $2.75 billion from investors and the current raise would sell SpaceX shares at a 9.7% premium to the prior round, which valued SpaceX at over $30 billion.
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at email@example.com or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report April 11: SpaceIL’s Lunar Lander Lost
- As Car-Sharing Startup Grows, So Do Costs
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 22: Boingo CEO Announces Retirement Plans
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 26: Lunar Mission on Horizon for SpaceX
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 18: Elon Musk’s Lunar Pick
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 11: SpaceX Booked for Lunar Mission
- Silicon Beach Report April 12: Sellbrite Acquired by GoDaddy
- SpaceX Gets Starring Role in Moon-Landing Competition