Victor King is the only on-site general counsel in the 23-campus California State University system. In his role as the Chief Legal Officer, he furnishes daily guidance to the President’s Cabinet and administrators. He writes and interprets policies and procedures to better serve over 28,000 students, over 550 full-time faculty members, over 2000 staff members, and hundreds of adjunct instructors.
King writes pleadings for, and argues in front of, the State Personnel Board whenever employee disciplinary action has been appealed. He monitors over half a dozen outside law firms retained to defend the institution and its employees in commercial, construction defect, discrimination, employment, First Amendment, and personal injury lawsuits. He works with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and Department of Education Office of Civil Rights to address and resolve complaints filed by employees and students.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Leaders in Law 2018 Winners: Government/Municipal In-House Counsel of the Year - Victor King
- Leaders in Law 2018 Winners: Private Large Company In-House Counsel of the Year - Kim Matthews
- Thomas Parham
- Leaders in Law 2018: In-House Counsel Nominees - David Robert Holmquist
- Morning Headlines
- Entrepreneur's Notebook---Smaller Firms See Impact of Employee Rules Post-Attack
- Leaders in Law 2018 In-House Counsel of the Year Finalists: David Robert Holmquist