Female-focused venture fund raises $10.4 million; Los Angeles tech workers data released; SpaceX gets approval to build satellite-powered broadband network.
Santa Monica-based Halogen Ventures, a new, female-focused venture capital fund raised $10.4 million as part of its first fund, Halogen Ventures LP, SoCaltech reports. The fund was founded by Jesse Draper – the daughter of venture capitalist Tim Draper – who has invested in such firms as Laurel & Wolf, Carbo38, Naya Health, HopSkipDrive, The Flex Company, and Sugarfina. She's also well known for the TV series "The Valley Girl Show." The fund says it makes early stage venture capital investments in female-founded consumer technology companies.
Los Angeles Tech Workers Data Released
The CompTIA 2018 CyberStates report was released and showed Los Angeles had 501,900 technology workers in 2017, the Business Journal reports. That makes for second in the United States behind New York City with 664,800. San Francisco and San Jose rank fourth and fifth, respectively. The numbers include all technology workers, both working for tech companies as well as those working in tech roles for companies in other sectors.
The top U.S. telecommunications regulator on March 29 gave formal approval to a plan by Elon Musk's SpaceX to build a global broadband network using satellites, Business Insider reports. The system proposed by privately held SpaceX, as Space Exploration Holdings is known, will use 4,425 satellites, the FCC said.
Technology reporter Eli Horowitz can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @coachhorowitz13 for the latest in L.A. tech news.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report April 13: Too Many Robots for Elon Musk
- Silicon Beach Report May 22: Openpath Launches with $7 Million Raise
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 15: Snap Subpoenaed
- Silicon Beach Report March 23: ServiceTitan Grabs $62 Million in Series C
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 14: Electric Scooter Sharing Startup Bird Raises $15 Million
- Monday Rundown: SpaceX Inks Launch Deals; Patrick Soon-Shiong Licenses Amgen Drug; Siemer Finds Aussie Partner
- SpaceX Valued at $10 Billion
- Silicon Beach Report April 17: AppOnboard Raises $15 Million in Series A Funding Round