Aerospace expects Tiangong-1 to land in early April; Maco.la launches fund aimed at blockchain; and Europe proposes tax on tech giants.
Aerospace Expects Tiangong-1 to Arrive Around April 1
Aerospace Corporation announced a tentative date for Tiangong-1, the Chinese space station, to land on Earth. In a private demonstration for media, representatives for the nonprofit said the roughly 8,500-kilogram craft appears likely to land on April 1 – plus or minus three days, the Business Journal reports. Aerospace officials said the satellite reentry is not expected to be hazardous. Tiangong-1 was launched on Sept. 30, 2011 and is about the size of a school bus.
Maco.la Management, a Los Angeles-based blockchain-focused investment fund and advisory business, announced the launch of its fund and advisory business, which invests capital into enterprises seeking to optimize their business with the use of blockchain technology, PRnewswire reports. This comes on the heels of an initial $6 million raise led by Mark Strome, chief investment officer of Strome Investment Management, and a goal of raising a total of $40 million.
European policymakers are suggesting a new tax on tech giants such as Facebook Inc. and Alphabet Inc.'s Google in a measure that could raise $6.2 billion, the L.A. Times reports via the Washington Post. The proposal would tap into digital titans' revenues in countries where they have the bulk of their users and customers, imposing a 3 percent tax on income from online advertising, the sale of user data and the connecting of users to one another. This could have long-term implications for social media startups and the Los Angeles tech scene at large.
Technology reporter Eli Horowitz can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @coachhorowitz13 for the latest in L.A. tech news.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report April 2: Tesla Stock Drops
- Silicon Beach Report April 30: LeaseLock Lands $10 Million
- Silicon Beach Report April 19: TheWaveVR Raises $6M for L.A. Office
- Silicon Beach Report March 23: ServiceTitan Grabs $62 Million in Series C
- AppOnboard Raises $15 Million in Series A Funding Round
- Silicon Beach Report: Aerospace gets $2.85M, from NASA; PeerStreet Raises $29.5M
- Silicon Beach Report April 9: Uber Acquires Jump
- Silicon Beach Report March 27: Foxconn Acquires Belkin for $866 Million