Years Practicing: 29
Years with Current Firm: 7
Johnnie James has extensive experience in every aspect of employment law, including advising corporate clients on wage and hour issues, employee handbooks and related policies, employee hiring, terminations, mass layoffs, and non-compete agreements. James also defends corporate clients against employment claims brought under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the California Fair Employment & Housing Act, California Wage Orders, as well as other related state law claims.
Prior to joining Ogletree Deakins, James was a partner at Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, and Manatt Phelps & Phillips, where he co-managed Manatt’s Labor & Employment Practice Group. James also spent several years in-house, serving as Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary of SAGE Publications, Inc., an international academic publishing company. James began his legal career at Alschuler Grossman & Pines, a litigation boutique firm in Los Angeles, where he became that firm’s first African-American partner.
You May Also Like
- Companies Rush to Adjust to New Whistleblower Rules
- Leaders in Law 2018: How to Manage an Overtime Policy
- Staff Terminations Land Satellite Launcher in Court
- Determined to Go It Alone, Miller Ready to Rock 'n' Roll
- Veteran L.A. Attorney Finds Balance at New Job
- Booze, Fights? It's Holiday Party Time
- LA 500: George David Kieffer