Snap is trying to lure Instagram advertisers by offering them free ads on Snapchat; Elon Musk explains why SpaceX prefers clusters of small engines for the Falcon Heavy; and digital media drives entertainment employment growth in Los Angeles.
Snap is reaching out to advertisers that are buying vertical video ads on Instagram and other competitors, and offering them free advertising credits to give Snapchat a try, Recode reports. Snap is directing advertisers to an online application, which requires them to upload a proof of purchase that they bought ads on a Snapchat competitor “sometime within the past three months.” Snap is then offering those advertisers credits in the range of “several hundred dollars,” according to a source.
SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket uses triple-core boosters to reach orbit, with each of the cores having nine Merlin rocket engines, making for a total of 27 engines, Ars Technica reports. "It’s better to use a large number of small engines," Elon Musk said. With the Falcon Heavy rocket, he added, up to half a dozen engines could fail and the rocket would still make it to orbit.
Employment in the entertainment industry in the Los Angeles Basin grew 19.6 percent from 2006 to 2016, outpacing 4 percent growth across all industries in the area over the 10-year period, a new report says, The Business Journal reports. The report also said employment in industries with digital media increased 12 percent, including significant overlap with traditional media and entertainment companies.
Technology reporter Garrett Reim can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @garrettreim for the latest in L.A. tech news.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report April 3: SpaceX Plans ‘Silly Payload’ on First Falcon Heavy Launch in Late Summer
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 20: Whatsapp Updates with Snapchat-Like Vanishing Content
- Silicon Beach Report March 31: Snapchat Launches Stories Search
- Silicon Beach Report: Meg Whitman Tapped as Chief Executive of Katzenberg’s WndrCo
- Silicon Beach Report Jan. 5: Snap’s Unusual Structure Led to Breakthroughs, But Also Problems
- Silicon Beach Report July 9: Snap Builds Camera Search
- Silicon Beach Report Jan. 23: SpaceX Won’t Try to Land Its Next Rocket
- SpaceX Will Attempt to Land Rocket on Earth