Science closes $75 million fund; Elon Musk’s Boring Co. sells all its flamethrowers; and Snapchat is selling hats and sweatshirts inside its app.
Science Inc., the Santa Monica, Ca.-based incubator and investment firm, has closed a new venture capital fund with $75 million in commitments, TechCrunch reports. The vehicle is its first official venture fund — with traditional limited partners, including a fund of funds, sovereign wealth funds, foundations, and other institutional investors, according to the six-year-old firm.
The Boring Co.'s flamethrowers officially sold out Thursday, Elon Musk said on Twitter — that means it has now sold $10 million worth of the devices, CNBC reports. Musk added on Twitter that the flamethrowers would ship with a "complimentary Boring fire extinguisher."
Snapchat started selling merchandise within its in-app Snap Store on Thursday, a section where users can buy sweatshirts with Snapchat’s logo, or a stuffed plush toy depicting Snapchat’s now famous dancing hotdog character, Recode reports. It appears Snapchat is trying to get some insight into how its user base might discover and buy products inside the app.
Technology reporter Garrett Reim can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @garrettreim for the latest in L.A. tech news.
You May Also Like
- Silicon Beach Report Jan. 29: Google to Move into Spruce Goose Hangar This Fall
- Silicon Beach Report June 11: L.A. Football Club Testing Biometric Ticketing
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 21: Snapchat Promises Update After Users Balk at Redesign
- Silicon Beach Report Jan 23: Esports One Raises $3 Million to Help Viewers Make Sense of E-sports Competitions
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 4: Boring Co. Reveals Proposed Map of Tunnel Under Los Angeles
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 31: Elon Musk Says Boring Co. Tunnel Should Be 17 Miles Long in One Year
- Silicon Beach Report Nov. 22: Divergent 3D Announces $65 Million Round for 3-D Printed Car Frames
- Silicon Beach Report April 13: Too Many Robots for Elon Musk