Santa Monica-based Funguys Inc., a food company that sells a Four Sigmatic brand of mushroom coffees and teas, has raised $5.4 million from investors.
The six-year-old company raised $5,388,053 in a securities sale to three investors, according to a Dec. 17 filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
The aptly named Funguys was co-founded by self-proclaimed “fungi lovin’ foodpreneur” Terro Isokauppila, the company president who says he grew up on a family farm in Finland foraging for mushrooms and other wild foods.
Four Sigmatic now bills its “superfood” collection of mushroom-based coffees, teas or mushroom-based medicines and lotions as “a little Everyday Magic to the lives of all.”
They are now sold from a Shroom Room mushroom coffeehouse in Venice to Whole Foods markets to Amazon.com, and in more than two dozen countries worldwide.
The company website lists a team of 29 employees, including Isokauppila, but not co-founder Mikko Revonniemi, a former chief executive who now serves as an advisor.
Health business reporter Dana Bartholomew can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @_DanaBart.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Santa Monica-Based Casetabs Raises $2.3 Million From Investors
- BionicLogic Raises $1.5 Million
- Epi-Now Raises $9.2 Million for Emergency Allergy Drug Cabinets
- Marina Biotech Inc. Raises $1.5 Million
- Cannabis Media Company Prohbtd Media Raises $8 Million
- Avenda Health Receives $3.3 Million Investment
- UPDATE: Brentwood-Based Forcyte Biotechnologies Targets $2M Raise
- Alpha Source Raises $41M in Seed Round