A Maywood-based meat processor and two officials have pleaded guilty to selling beef, pork and poultry to Southern California grocery chains while bearing bogus USDA inspection marks, the U.S. Attorney’s Office announced.
Prosecutors announced Aug. 1 that Golden Key Food Inc., doing business as AA Meat Products Corp, pleaded guilty to a felony charge of offering to sell misbranded beef tripe.
Company owner Bai Zhi “Pat” Yan, 47, of Temple City, and his wife Lianjie Kitty Jiang, 44, who managed a company facility in Maywood, pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor counts of offering to sell misbranded pork uteri and duck feet.
AA Meat ran a meat processing plant in Maywood that was properly inspected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The company also operated a second plant in Commerce, which was not.
In 2012, AA misbranded meat and poultry from the Commerce plant and intended to defraud its customers by falsely claiming it bore the official USDA inspection mark, prosecutors in the U.S. Central District said.
USDA investigators seized 568,000 pounds of meat and poultry and recalled another 500,000 pounds that had to be destroyed.
Prosecutors will recommend that Golden Key Food could be sentenced to five years of probation and a $1 million fine. They will also recommend that Yan and Jiang serve two years of probation, 100 hours of community service, and that Yan pay a fine of $5,000 and that Jiang pay $20,000.
Health business reporter Dana Bartholomew can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @_DanaBart.
You May Also Like
- Woman Sentenced to Federal Prison for Botched Cosmetic Procedure
- Da Vita Dialysis and Mauran Ambulance Employees Caught in Medicare Fraud Scheme
- MEAT---Meat Processor Closing, Rising Costs to Blame
- City Attorney Secures Shut-Down of Two L.A. Businesses Selling Illegal Pharmaceuticals
- Fake Beef Firm Plants Products
- Prosecutors: Disney Leaker Should Get at Least 27 Months
- Render Unto AQMD?
- Owner of Restaurant That Served Whale Meat Pleads Guilty to Federal Charges