K-Swiss will introduce an esports shoe in a partnership with esports group Immortals; a new social network for girls founded by former Disney execs gets $2.7M in seed funding; and WME expands its podcast portfolio.
L.A. footwear maker K-Swiss is teaming up with esports group Immortals to create a “signature shoe” for the esports teams, according to Venture Beat, which says esports is on track to grow 38 percent this year to $906 million and up to $1.65 billion by 2021. K-Swiss will create a lifestyle model shoe, as well as a “performance model for pro gamers.”
A new L.A. social network start up aimed at girls raised $2.7 million in a seed funding round, according to SoCalTech. Maverick was founded by former Disney execs Brooke Chaffin and Catherine Connors with a mission providing opportunities for girls and young women to "exercise and share their creative powers" and connect with young leaders, innovators, artists and entrepreneurs. Funding came from Heroic Ventures’ Matt Robinson, BBG Ventures’ Susan Lyne and Nisha Dua, and LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner.
Hollywood agency WME has signed PRX, the producer of the podcast series Mortified, Ear Hustle and Criminal, according to the Hollywood Reporter. PRX also distributes popular radio series, This American Life and The Moth. WME has been getting further in the podcast space, representing Crooked Media (producers of Pod Save America), Malcolm Gladwell (producer of Revisionist History and Broken Record) and Stephen Dubner (producer of Freakonomics Radio).
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report March 22: Job-Hunting Advice Network Raises $2.7M
- Mattel Makes Several Strides in Its Post-Barbie Strategy
- Silicon Beach Report May 2: Former UFC Owners Launch Fertitta Capital With $500 Million Fund
- Investment Powers Up Maker of In-Body Batteries
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 25: NASA Approves Dragon Vehicle
- Seed Stage Investor Breaks With Roots
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 16: E-Sports Ad Tech Firm VY Esports Raises Seed Round
- K-Swiss Developing Holes in Shoe Sales on Home Front