SpaceX to build Big Falcon Rocket; Bridg acquires Relevant Mobile; bill to identify bots passes Senate Committee.
Mayor Eric Garcetti announced April 16 during his state of the city address that Elon Musk’s SpaceX will start building the largest rocket ever, Big Falcon Rocket (BFR), on Terminal Island in the Port of Los Angeles, the Business Journal reports. The rocket is expected to be used for missions to Mars, and will be able to carry 150 tons powered by 31 Raptor engines.
“This is a vehicle that holds the promise of taking humanity even deeper into the cosmos than ever before,” said Garcetti during the address at City Hall.
Los Angeles-based Bridg, which develops personalized marketing software and technology, acquired Relevant Mobile, a developer of mobile app, loyalty and rewards programs, Socaltech reports. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. Relevant Mobile's co-founders, Gerrine Pan and Dazhi Chen, will join Bridg as part of the acquisition. Bridg is led by CEO and founder Amit Jain, and is venture backed by Morpheus Ventures, NextEquity Partners, Visa and March Capital.
Senator Bob Hertzberg, D-Van Nuys, announced today that his bill, SB 1001, which would require social media companies to identify the presence of automated accounts, or bots, passed the Senate Committee, he announced in a press release. Hertzberg authored the bill with the support of Common Sense Kids Action to protect Internet users from the spread of false information.
Technology reporter Eli Horowitz can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @coachhorowitz13 for the latest in L.A. tech news.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report April 25: Next Trucking to Hire 50 Employees
- Garcetti Announces SpaceX Will Build Big Falcon Rocket at Port of L.A.
- Silicon Beach Report June 29: Bird Raises $300 Million
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 13: Defy Media Raises $70M
- Silicon Beach Report May 9: Ring Launches Neighbors App
- Silicon Beach Report May 11: SpaceX Launches Block 5 on Second Try
- Silicon Beach Report March 6: SpaceX Successfully Launches Hispasat 30W-6
- Silicon Beach Report May 16: Quarterback Gets $2.5 Million to Boost E-Sports Efforts