Fandom site Movie Pilot acquired by France’s Webedia Digital Media Group, LAPD warns drivers navigation apps may steer towards fires and Boeing CEO Says ‘We will beat SpaceX to Mars.’
Paris-based publishing group Webedia has acquired majority control of Creators Media, the L.A.-based company that runs entertainment fan site Movie Pilot and video channel Super News covering nerd culture, Variety reports. Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Webedia will own the “vast majority” of the company, while co-founders Tobi Bauckhage and Jon Handschin will retain small equity stakes, according to Bauckhage, chief executive of Creators Media.
Users of popular navigation apps such as Waze are claiming the services directed them to neighborhoods where wildfires forced closures and evacuations, USA Today reports. Largely reliant on information supplied by other drivers, when the Google-owned app notices gridlock on a user's route, it reroutes the driver to quieter streets — even if they're empty because drivers have fled smoke and the threat of flames.
Boeing Chief Executive Dennis Muilenburg said that his company would beat Elon Musk’s SpaceX to Mars, Fortune reports. Muilenburg said that his company’s 36-story tall Space Launch System, a rocket which is under development, would propel the first astronauts to the Red Planet.
Technology reporter Garrett Reim can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @garrettreim for the latest in L.A. tech news.
You May Also Like
- Silicon Beach Report Oct. 5: Boeing Vows to Beat SpaceX to Mars
- New CEO at Boeing
- Silicon Beach Report Aug. 9: Walt Disney to Acquire Stake in MLB Streaming Platform for $1B
- Web Site Buys Magazine to Raise Its Offline Profile
- INTERNET---Web Site Buys Magazine to Raise Its Offline Profile
- Silicon Beach Report: Aerospace gets $2.85M, from NASA; PeerStreet Raises $29.5M
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 22: SGN Renames Itself Jam City, Acquires Rights to ‘Peanuts’ Franchise
- Silicon Beach Report March 29: Santa Monica’s DogVacay Purchased by Rival Rover.com