A weekly roundup of must-read L.A. tech investments and acquisitions.
Location: Santa Monica
Investors: Western Alliance Bank.
Description: The debt round will be used to expand TaskUs’ customer service and logistical support systems. Most of the firm’s customer service personnel are based in the Philippines. TaskUs has become a go-to customer service provider for a number of tech companies, including West L.A.’s Savings.com and Autodesk Inc. of San Rafael. TaskUs raised a $15 million investment from Filipino private equity firm Navegar in August.
Investors: The round was led by Draper Fisher Jurvetson with participation from Venture Reality Fund, Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments, Greycroft Partners, Vayner/RSE, End Cue, Walter Kortschak, Douglas Purdy, Lee Rierson, Carl Rosendale, Ethan Beard, Jeff Marx, and Anamitra Banerj.
Description: Visionary VR is developing virtual reality video-making software. The company will use the invested funds to grow their team of designers and engineers, and develop the commercial version of their software.
Description: Snapchat of Venice has acquired Bitmoji app maker Bitstrips, Fortune has learned from multiple sources. One of the sources said the deal is a mix of cash and stock, valued “in the ballpark” of $100 million. Bitstrips’ Bitmoji app makes personalized cartoons that users can share via various chat services, such as Apple’s iMessage and Facebook’s Messenger. Snapchat has raised more than $1.2 billion. The company acquired animation app Looksery of Ukraine for a reported $150 million in September.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Snapchat Acquires Bitmoji Company
- Snapchat Confirms Bitstrips Acquisition
- Silicon Beach Report Jan. 5: Imax to Launch VR Arcade in Los Angeles
- Silicon Beach Report Dec. 21: Snap Opens China Office
- Silicon Beach Report March 31: Snapchat Launches Stories Search
- Silicon Beach Report Feb. 13: Dreamscape Immersive Raises $11M for Virtual Reality Attractions
- Silicon Beach Report Sept. 14: Hulu Content Spending to Hit $2.5 Billion in 2017
- TaskUs Raises $14 Million Debt Round