Caren Mason, who was elected to implantable lens maker Staar Surgical Co.’s board last June, was named Tuesday as chief executive, replacing Barry Caldwell who retired March 1. The Monrovia company’s shares soared about 14 percent Tuesday following the announcement.
Mason, 61, was most recently the chief executive of Verinata Health in Redwood City, a provider of non-invasive prenatal genetic testing services. She is also a director of HealthTell, a life sciences company in San Ramon, and previously served as the chief executive and president of Quidel Corp. in San Diego from 2004 to 2009. Mason is also on the executive committee for the Board of Visitors and serves as chair of the Advisory and Innovation Council at the UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center.
Staar announced Mason’s appointment before markets opened Tuesday. Staar shares closed the day at $7.76, up 13.8 percent.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Staar Jumps on Better-Than-Expected Revenue
- Staar Surgical Jumps on Revenue Improvement
- Contact Lens Maker Draws Wall Street’s Focus
- Seeing Brighter Future
- Overseas Sales Boost Starr Surgical's Quarter
- Staar Surgical Moves HQ to Orange County
- Staar's Stock Price Surging On OK of Medical Devices
- Staar Surgical Misses Wall Street Profit Estimates