NantWorks, billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong’s Culver City holding company, has launched an immuno-oncology company and inked a deal with Amgen Inc. of Thousand Oaks to license an oncology antibody.
The new company, NantCell, acquired exclusive rights to develop and commercialize Amgen’s AMG 479, which targets Type 1 insulin-like growth factor receptors that may play a role in the development and progression of many cancers.
The licensing deal is worldwide with the exception of Japan. Financial terms were not disclosed.
“We are pleased to enter into this agreement with Amgen,” Soon-Shiong, who serves as NantCell’s chief executive, said in a statement. “We acquired an immuno-oncology compound in late-stage development, with the potential to address a number of cancers affecting significant patient populations.”
Patients entering NantCell’s clinical trials will be identified after a comprehensive analysis of DNA, RNA and protein, and treated on the resulting molecular profile to maximize clinical outcome and minimize side effects.
Dr. Sean E. Harper, Amgen’s executive vice president of research and development, said in a statement that NantCell’s “integrated suite of technologies may help to improve patient selection and further clinical development of AMG 479.”
In addition to licensing treatments already in development, the new NantWorks subsidiary will research and develop cell-based treatments at the molecular level for diseases using the body’s immune system.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Soon-Shiong’s NantCell Acquires Italian Stem Cell Firm
- NantWorks Acquires Precision Biologics
- Culver City-Based NantCell Raises $30 Million From Single Investor
- Culver City-Based NantCell Raises Second $30M Round
- NantWorks Strikes Deal with Sorrento Therapeutics
- Soon-Shiong Set to Open El Segundo Cancer Clinic on July 11
- Monday Rundown: SpaceX Inks Launch Deals; Patrick Soon-Shiong Licenses Amgen Drug; Siemer Finds Aussie Partner
- Soon-Shiong Plans Nant IPO