Seriously, a mobile-first entertainment startup founded by former Rovio execs, has launched its first product, Best Fiends.
The Santa Monica game studio launched last year with the mission to create games that feel like Hollywood movies. It has since raised $5 million in financing primarily from Upfront Ventures, Sunstone Capital and Daher Capital. The startup also has a development team in Helsinki.
Chief Executive Andrew Stalbow and Chief Creative Officer Petri Järvilehto co-founded Seriously after working together at Rovio Entertainment, the company behind the wildly popular Angry Birds franchise. Stalbow helped broker key Angry Birds partnerships, including one with Lucasfilm to create Angry Birds Star Wars.
Best Fiends is a free iOS puzzle game framed in an adventure narrative, with in-app purchases. A trilogy is already in the works with a second edition debuting next year.
“A lot of great big brands have been made on sight and sound, and what’s quite exciting for mobile is that a lot of these brands are going to be built on sight and sound and touch,” Stalbow said.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Seriously Raises Another $5 Million
- Seriously Raises $18 Million for Best Fiends Franchise
- L.A. Launch List: Oct. 10
- Games Run Up Scores for Movies
- Silicon Beach Report May 26: Boring Co. Releases Images of Electric Vehicle for its Proposed Tunnel Network
- Game Developer Fiending for Growth
- TapZen and Magic Pixel Acquired by Kabam
- Why Video-Game Giant Getting Into Mobile Market